1. Did your student use the SECOND OR THIRD Edition of Saxon Algebra 2?
NO: CLICK HERE
YES: Continue to the Next Question
2. Did the student score an 85 or higher on the last 5 Saxon Algebra 2 tests with a one hour time limit?
NO: Go to the next question.
YES: Shormann Precalculus is recommended. A prep course that fills the gaps between Saxon Algebra 2 and Shormann Precalculus is included with the course. In Shormann Precalculus, these students will earn 1/2 Geometry credit (the first 1/2 was earned in Saxon Algebra 2) and 1 credit of Precalculus with Trigonometry. Why do you recommend Shormann Precalculus instead of Saxon? Saxon Advanced Math vs Shormann Precalculus
3. Is this a good, reluctant, or struggling math student?
GOOD MATH STUDENTS: 2 Options
- Option 1: Repeat the last 15 lessons and their corresponding tests in Saxon Algebra 2. Then start Shormann Precalculus
- Option 2: Take Shormann Algebra 2 with Integrated Geometry. See Reluctant or Struggling below:
RELUCTANT OR STRUGGLING MATH STUDENT:
- Take Shormann Algebra 2 with Integrated Geometry There is a gap between Saxon Algebra 2 (2nd & 3rd editions). While a good math student can use the prep course to close this gap, struggling and/or reluctant math students will find this too difficult. Therefore, we recommend these students take Shormann Algebra 2. This course will earn the remaining 1/2 credit of Geometry (1/2 credit of geometry is earned in Saxon Algebra 2) and provide excellent preparation for the PSAT, SAT, and ACT. While Shormann Algebra 2 will have some review of the concepts taught in Saxon Algebra 2, this review will develop mastery and fluency, making math faster and easier to learn. Also, Shormann Algebra 2 prepares students for the CLEP College Algebra exam (3 college credits).
Frequently Asked Questions
If I take Shormann Algebra 2, can I skip some of the lessons or only do the geometry lessons?
All students should start with lesson 1 and complete all the lessons in the course. Shormann Algebra 2 teaches more geometry, all the topics required for the new PSAT and SAT, and other 21st Century topics not taught in Saxon Algebra 2. However, because Shormann Algebra 1 & 2 include 1 full credit of geometry, starting over in Algebra 2 will not take much longer than if you continued with Saxon Algebra 1, 2, and the first 40 lessons of Advanced Math (required to complete Geometry credit). Also, while Saxon has 120 lessons with 30 problems each, Shormann only has 100 lessons with 20 problems each. Upon completion of Shormann Algebra 2, over 200 practice problems from the PSAT, SAT, and ACT have been completed.
If I take Shormann Algebra 2, how do I list the credits on my transcript?
The name of the textbook or course is not listed on the transcript. List only the name of the requirement the course fulfilled. So, if Saxon Algebra 1 and Shormann Algebra 2 are taken, list the credits and requirements as:
- For Saxon Algebra 2 , list 1 credit of Algebra 2
- For Shormann Algebra 2, list one credit of Geometry
Need Help? Contact a Math Consultant
Shormann Math Key Features
- Expert video instruction for every lesson
- Interactive homework with automated grading and grade recording
- Embedded help links to quickly re-learn forgotten concepts
- Video solutions for every homework question
- Q&A email support with Dr. Shormann
- Weekly quizzes and quarterly exams with solutions
- Over 200 practice problems for the ACT redesigned PSAT and SAT
- 3-6 week prep course for CLEP and AP exams earn up to 14 college credits
- Hosted in a state-of-the-art eLearning system similar to college math courses
- Self-paced Course with 24 month subscription period; offline access is provided
- Parents retain control of grading- change grades and reset assignments as needed
- Based on a biblical and historical foundation that inspires students to excel
- Not Common Core aligned
Shormann Interactive Math teaches math as the language of science. With an emphasis on math history, students get a clearer picture of the "why" behind math and learn how to use math as a tool to explore their world and enhance their own God-given creativity.
Hosted in a state-of-the-art eLearning Campus, similar to the systems used in college math classes, Shormann Interactive Math features expert video instruction, interactive homework with automated grading, video solutions, and Q&A support. Shormann students learn more efficiently and develop fluency with less homework than Saxon or any other publisher. It also prepares the student to earn up to 14 college credits via CLEP and AP exams.